Tustin El Camino Real Farmers Market

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • Community Organizer
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 06:20 AM

This is a very good market, used to be my regular when I lived in E. Orange.

Convenient parking, good range of vendors, incl. the essential Top Veg and Farmer Mike. Great location -- I love that Tustin has a dedicated farmers' market site, complete with sign. Got their priorities straight, looks like.

Yesterday I stopped for a moment's shopping and got some beeyootiful dark red crenelated Lolo Rosso lettuce and juicy turnips from Top Veg, blackberries from the berry guy ($10/3-pk. here; $11 @ Lag Hls, and $13 at Irvine UCI), strawberries from the Redlands people, just $5/3-pk.!

And of course, no small benefit in being literal mere steps away from Cream Pan/Japonaise, neither -- baguette for dinner and multi-grain for the next day, plus sweeties, incl. the new and quite ethereal Mont Blanc, Le Mangeur's current fave tiramisu, and Ivan's constant fruit tart.

#2 Joan

Joan
  • Citizen
  • 112 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:05 AM

QUOTE (Priscilla @ Mar 12 2009, 06:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is a very good market, used to be my regular when I lived in E. Orange.

Convenient parking, good range of vendors, incl. the essential Top Veg and Farmer Mike. Great location -- I love that Tustin has a dedicated farmers' market site, complete with sign. Got their priorities straight, looks like.

Yesterday I stopped for a moment's shopping and got some beeyootiful dark red crenelated Lolo Rosso lettuce and juicy turnips from Top Veg, blackberries from the berry guy ($10/3-pk. here; $11 @ Lag Hls, and $13 at Irvine UCI), strawberries from the Redlands people, just $5/3-pk.!

And of course, no small benefit in being literal mere steps away from Cream Pan/Japonaise, neither -- baguette for dinner and multi-grain for the next day, plus sweeties, incl. the new and quite ethereal Mont Blanc, Le Mangeur's current fave tiramisu, and Ivan's constant fruit tart.

This sounds like a really cool market. I'm woefully behind the times. I want to check this one out sometime, but must it be on a Wednesday?

#3 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • Community Organizer
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:37 AM

Yes, Wednesday.

The ONLY prob with Weds has historically been that Claro's in its infinite UNwisdom is CLOSED on Weds so there is no hitting both to complete one's menu, as I believe I've opined elsewhere.

EXcept, the week before Christmas and the week before Easter, those weeks one can live the dream of farmers' market and Claro's on the same day.

#4 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • Community Organizer
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:15 AM

Seeking epinards today, specifically from Farmer Mike, and found them and him. Also four of his giant carrots, which are so good.

Blueberries, strawberries, a Romaine from Top Veg, $1 bag o' onions.

And, a tamal from the tamale lady. Sadly, I have to say she is no Mr. Corn. Which is to say, Mr. Corn rools! Is just SO much better in EVERY way. Nice lady, goosed my salsa w/some habanero add-in after saying neither her red nor green was any too hot (NOT a problem for Mr. Corn's red, it is hotalicious), but still, sorry. Mr. Corn I see at Friday Lag Hls market, and possibly Saturday Irvine UCI, but I am not positive about that.

Convenient beautiful Cream Pan, 3 French ladies parlezing le Francais at an outside table, scored my sandwich bread, ciabatta, onigiri for Le Mangeur later, and un cafe. C'est tres, tres bon.

#5 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • Community Organizer
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:09 PM

Laying the groundwork for burrata tomorrow, Top Veg salade mix was acquired. Also Romaine for tonight's Cobb.

First watermelon of 2009... "personal size," nice yellow spot, hope it passes the Le Mangeur muster.

Apricots are exploding, and are very good this year, bought some from 2 different vendors, one of whom is my habitual fruit supplier.

Again got a dreamy Old Town Tustin parking space right in front of Black Sheep Bistro.

And then convenient hop skip and not even a jump needed down to Cream Pan for baguettte for dinner and ciabatti for tomorrow, see laying groundwork for burrata op cit. And a heavenly cup of coffee, don't forget that.

#6 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • Community Organizer
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 01:55 PM

Day before Thanksgiving, lots of good stuff.

Even regular type stuff like scallions were so crispy green. No Farmer Mike, but good broccoli from Top Veg is a worthy substitute. Also couldn't resist 2 lovely frisee portending future aux lardons salade.

The hot dog and rotiss chicken guy recognized Le Mangeur, and whaddya know Le Mangeur was getting the same thing here, delicious bacon-wrapped dog w/jalapeno + everything.

Not a single orange sweet potato to be found at last Sunday's Lag Niguel/Aliso Viejo market, yet 3 vendors had tons of 'em here, and good thing, too, since I needed them for my trad Paul Prudhomme's candied yams.

#7 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • Community Organizer
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 12:22 PM

Wonderful quick rip through this delightful market this a.m., wonderful esp. due to the fact that Farmer Mike was presiding over a table groaning with his gorgeous produce. All is well with the FM world, when Farmer Mike is back where he belongs.

My $1 cabbage was akshully a $1.50 cabbage today, because everybody's were that price, because everything's just a little better in Tustin. Not being facetious: Everything really IS better in Tustin. And you know what $1.50 is still a stone bargain for this incredible veg.

Cream Pan coffee is the perfect start to visiting this market, too, and could hardly be more convenient. Or more delicious.

#8 ivan

ivan
  • Community Organizer
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:36 PM

So we're there around 10 am, and everyone's tables are laden, LADEN with produce. So I say, how much of this gets sold, and how much do they have to desolately load back onto the evocative panel trucks? Well, I am assured: most, if not all, gets sold. They are not fools. They know what the market will bear.

#9 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • Community Organizer
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:12 PM

Quick but incredibly necessary trip to this market today... the constant RAIN was merely a HUGE BONUS!!!

Took me back to years ago when this was my regular weekly market, and we were having a rainy year. I have never not for a second taken for granted how the farmers comes to the market even driving through hours of rain and rain-related traffic, over the Grapevine and WHATever.

LOVE love love that they are there.

Today, Ivan and I got in 3 gorgeous CANTALOUPES, whose season is not without end but is still going today, THANK GOD, and 2 incredibly gorgeeeeous caulis for to be roasted and served with the aged Politically Correct steaks toted home from Berkeley Bowl this past Mark Morris Dance Group Weekend, and a couple of beautiful Romaines, and some superripe Sungold tomatoes, which this year Ivan did not grow because I asked him specifically for Sweet 100s, but we are glad to have access to at the fm. (Ivan did buy a bunch of plants from the plant guy today as well, related content.)

Nostalgia, what the historian Robert Nisbet rightly characterized as the Rust of Memory, colors a LITTLE of my love for this market, but not all. It's a FABULOUS market, not least because it is in in FABULOUS Tustin. Don't forget to mail your Netflix from the desiganted postal box up on Prospect, all the best people do... mail, I mean, not forget to mail.

And the Cream Pan cafe and breakfast priorly is more than just gravy, it's of course worthy of a trip unto its own darn self. Like, daily.

#10 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • Community Organizer
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:16 PM

Oh I've been to this market many times since the previous entry. Can't remember all what I got all those visits, though.

Today, however, I can remember: GORGEOUS butter lettuces, and then equally gorgeous red leaf, red leaf so red it's more like blackish maroon leaf. I already had the butter lettuce I needed for dinner, but could not resist that maroon leaf. The result is 2 insta-salades quietly wait in the fridge. So much not a bad thing as to be an entirely GOOD thing.

Also could not resist: Strawberries so dark red and ripe all the way through, which has not, sadly, been the case much of this spring. I blame the weird weather shifts, and that's what the farmers usually say, but whatever causes it, it makes for inconsistent strawberry output. Perhaps we've turned a corner in that regard.

Of course the obligatory Cream Pan visit was first, for coffee and this & that.