Taste of Orange County

• Please log in to reply
260 replies to this topic

#141 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • Community Organizer
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:14 PM

Today's Market Special... sure do love the idea of increased home-cooking emphasis at Whole Foods!

#142 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • Community Organizer
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:59 AM

Vry srs subject, burger buns. A little rumination on locally-available examples in Taste of Orange County.

#143 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • Community Organizer
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:38 PM

Chef Deb Schneider of SOL Cocina always has a ton going on, but even for her this confluence of projects is impressive. Can't wait to be convinced in re slow cookers, esp. You KNOW I'll be covering related developments in Taste of Orange County.

#144 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • Community Organizer
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:31 PM

It's a pleasure to find something so close to home that is so good. Especially a French-chef owned caf?... how rare is that, near OR far?

#145 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • Community Organizer
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:20 PM

Everybody knows (and loves) Blackmarket Bakery in Irvine. But did you know chef Rachel offers a bunch of interesting classes there? Well, it's true, and Anne Valdespino, one of the mag's senior eds, recently took one on artisan breads. Plus, thoughts from chef Rachel.

#146 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • Community Organizer
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:23 PM

Wine on a boat! A dispatch from senior editor and wine writer Anne Valdespino, about a multi-multi-multi-winery Paso Robles event, on a yacht, in Newport Harbor.

#147 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • Community Organizer
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:43 PM

A leetle pointer to what's good to eat in the March issue of Orange Coast Magazine.

#148 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • Community Organizer
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:43 AM

Spike's Fish House (which has its own OCFN topic), has a new happy hour menu, and almost-as-new 150-calorie lettuce wraps. Akshully, less than 150. And then there's those new, old-fashioned butterflied fried shrimp... SO GOOD, but not, um, less than 150 calories.

#149 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • Community Organizer
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:07 PM

Tea, beautiful tea. And now, the elusive (at least at home) masala chai. SO GOOD! And Mona Shah-Anderson's mom, Malti, was so gracious to share her recipe.

#150 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • Community Organizer
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:05 PM

Wine hap'nins from Orange Coast Senior Editor Anne Valdespino, who is also, as most know, the mag wine writer. Laguna's already like the coolest place in the county... guess it needed two wine fests! Should have some followup news about one or the other or both events upcoming in the blog, too.

#151 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • Community Organizer
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:08 PM

Oh my goodness, swordfish can be so good. IF it's not cut thick into a so-called self-styled soi-disant howyousay "steak." Scallopine is the way to go, and superfast cooking.

#152 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • Community Organizer
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:56 AM

Today in the blog, so that there's PLENTY of time for getting together the necessary ingredients before St. Patrick's Day Saturday, it's Irish stew. So good!

#153 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • Community Organizer
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:35 AM

As indicated earlier, here's Anne Valdespino's Taste of Orange County follow-up on Laguna's dueling wine fests. Kinda makes a person thirsty, just to read!

#154 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • Community Organizer
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:24 AM

Today in the blog, it's the e-cookbook from Seabirds Truck. Founder/owner Stephanie Morgan always mentions the energy lift you get from a vegan diet, and I must say, my whole fam felt it after having the kale salade that I run here. The most amazing thing was what a sustained phenomenon it was. Hours later, still feelin' it. So good!

#155 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • Community Organizer
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:16 AM

Z Caf?... I could totally see stopping in this place for chicken tortilla soup while at SCP. Among other things.

#156 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • Community Organizer
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:30 AM

It's What Did We Cook Time (again)! When all these spring veg factors conflux, the answer is almost foregone.

#157 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • Community Organizer
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:33 AM

Today in ToOC, a little heads-up about the incredible happy hour menu at Fleming's Fashion Island. The manager said people are lined up waiting for the 5 p.m. opening, which is easy to believe.

#158 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • Community Organizer
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:56 PM

Today, a recipe from what is at first glance an unexpected source, but really shouldn't be, that unexpected, after all, TAPS Fish House & Brewery is a full-on restaurant. But still... biscotti? Who knew? My editor gets the goods and shares with ToOC.

#159 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • Community Organizer
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:31 AM

A dispatch from Orange Coast wine writer and Senior Editor Anne Valdespino. Another wine-to-go concept, but an O.C.-developed one that seems like it might have, if I may indulge in a little wine humor, legs.

#160 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • Community Organizer
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:36 AM

Yay asparagus season! I really mean it! I DO wait all year for this. Got three bunches in my fridge as I type, in fact.

Had an interesting chat with Le Pain Quotidien founder Alain Coumont that resulted in, long story arc, this asparagus tartine. (And finally consuming the delicious bottle of wine he sent along with me, from his own organic Languedoc vineyards. Red, white, or ??? he asked. I said, do you possibly have a ros?? He most certainly did. It was yum. The asparagus in these light sans is raw. Dressed, but raw. Use the skinniest you can find.