Mission Ranch Market, MV

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • Community Organizer
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 09:15 AM

Mission Ranch Market, over there on Los Alisos in MV, is a treasure. Just a wonderful place.

Lots of Italian pastas, tons of olive oil?we're still on a Spanish one that has been a favorite for a year or more, but usually we switch before so much time has passed either because something new catches our eye or the one we're liking is no longer on the shelf -- an international variety of fetas, yogurt in any size up to a kegger, of course many, many Basmatis, Alta Dena milk, decent no-junk-in-'em baguettes and batards from The Bread Company in Cypress, a growing selection of Subcontinental and Eastern European ingredients?plus just a big old hangin' dose of multi-culti LOVE whenever you go in.

Provided you have survived the parking lot, you can go in. It is not unlike 99 Ranch parking lot during the noon hour, only smaller and with bigger cars, moving faster.

The meat case is almost all Halal?I don't have a great deal of familiarity, having mainly bought ground lamb for quick and dirty kebabs (Sadaf kebab seasoning, conveniently right there behind you as you order from the counter guy, is our fave) and the boneless skinless chicken legs for various uses. Oh, lamb liver, too, for an excellent little salade of a crisped piece of liver landed atop nice greens dressed with a bracing vinaigrette.

The fruit and veg are, it must be said, cheap. And, concomitantly, one sometimes must pick through to find something one would want to take home, but, big bunches of cilantro and parsley are reliable and a pleasure to see mountainously piled. Romaine can be very respectable, and redleaf as well. There's a lot of good stuff in there, in fact.

And all of it together no worse than, indeed far, far better than, regular supermarkets, whose produce sections don't do anything for me at all. Anything good, that is.

#2 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • Community Organizer
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 12:33 PM

Hey! A Register foodblogger wrote about my beloved Mission Ranch Market!!! Niyaz Pirani considers it his local fruit & veg source!

Moreover, he tried the new takeaway kebabs! Which we have not yet done.

In writing this I am reminded that I do need yogurt and cut pasta, and Persian dill pickles. Staples, all 3.

#3 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • Community Organizer
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 06:21 AM

Now that I've tried the MRM bakery's sangak (and, I wanted to make sure to link to the survey: Sangak Survey. Plus, it was my fave!!!

#4 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • Community Organizer
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:21 AM

Got MRM's sangak again yesterday, to accompany the rest of the Wholesome Choice takeaway stuff from the other day.

It was so good... like Sunday's WC sangak, better than the first time, although regular readers will recall that it had already ended up as my fave in the survey.

But, yesterday?tangier, stretchier, chewier, nuttier... all signs and symptoms of a more mature dough. And the guy was nice enough to make mine with nigella/charnuska/kalonji as well as sesame again, very nice. It was charrier, too, which is easier to achieve w/a mature dough but more due to the baker's skill. My theory: More mature dough is likely 1. earlier in the day (as we were on Sunday at WC), and 2. on a slower day, a weekday (as was yesterday @ MRM), because they are more likely to have made the dough the night before. This is my theory, and I am sticking to it for the time being.

Also restocked Ritter Sport Cornflake bars... SOsoso convenient to be able to ge our German choccys at our local Persian market, and at a very good price, too.

#5 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • Community Organizer
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:43 PM

Stopping by for baguettes today, the Bread Co. ones are so good, saw the most beeyootiful crispy new creamy gold, goldy cream, Bentley Arnage in the parking lot, back where I park to stay out of the fray.

So gorgeous!

Did I mention it is also a very good place to espy Lamborghinis?

#6 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • Community Organizer
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 12:48 PM

MRM had a baby! Or, something. Wrote about it here: Ranch Market.

#7 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • Community Organizer
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 12:18 PM

Quick little visit to MRM today for "an onion" turned into a slightly bigger visit wherein I remembered I needed a can of grapeseed oil, pine nuts, yogurt. Took the opportunity to get a coupla shapes of cut pasta too.

I heart MRM.

Then, since they were out of the crucial Cornflaken, we went around the corner to its mini-me Ranch Market, which has a crispy new beautiful array of all flavors, at least for now while still fairly unfrequented, by us as well as others. Hope this changes (esp. for the others, I'm fine w/my regular beloved MRM), because more is definitely better for independent businesses. Also got a beautifully yellow pineapple for 99 cents, one of those things you can reliably score at MRM and, now, apparently, RM.

#8 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • Community Organizer
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 12:23 PM

My beloved Mission Ranch Market keeps revealing heretofore unseen depths, latterlyest in its takeaway restaurant, installed over there in the deli where you might not even see it.

But if you look, and you should, you'll see a full-on restaurant kitchen, with a guy turning appetizing skewers of meats, the meats in their raw, prepped state in the cold case in front of you, strangely no less appetizing for being raw. If you're lucky you'll also see the guy lift the lid on a giant rondo, releasing a huge cloud of fragrant steam, when he checks the beautiful Basmati a-cookin' there.

What I had today was the chicken koobideh san: Soft thin rectangular cut of flatbread, small mountain of chopped veg, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, etc., piled on, awaiting the sizzling skewer, which is first dredged in what can only be melted butter on its way from the grill to the prepped bread/veg. Said sizzling skewer is landed on the veg, sesame sauce is zzzzzzted over, and the guy rolls it up expertlly tightly, wraps it in paper-lined foil, and whacks it in half, providing an excellent cutaway view of the interior. That is a good thing.

And so is the san! It is dang hard to get takeaway food with substantial veg content. Persians have this, and more, covered.

Plus they are their typical nice selves, this indeed being the aforementioned Mission Ranch Market.

Add it to the list! Place your order, shop for the usual yogurt olive oil pasta milk staples at which MRM excels, and the Persian specialties at which it also excels, and then return to the counter to collect your (exceedingly) fresh food.

#9 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • Community Organizer
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:03 PM

Chicken koobideh san again today... just always good.

LOVElovelove all the crispy fresh veg in there, and the sesame sauce. And yes, well, of course the koobideh its own darn self is good too, so long as it don' t overshadow the aforementioned. Which it do not.

Pretty good trifecta, here in the Oakville Plaza, the market itself, the restaurant/takeaway, and do NOT forget the superior sangak.

#10 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • Community Organizer
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:06 PM

Dunno if I have previously mentioned in this topic about MRM's newish takeaway food... we were so happy with it I started a topic of its own.

So good! So convenient! Such as today when I was running for yogurt and we could get sans as well. Done AND done.

And this is in ADDITION to the excellent sangak at the bakery two doors down, discussed in the Sangak Survey topic.

#11 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • Community Organizer
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 02:42 PM

So, not only is Alta-Dena milk 2-4-6 at the moment at MRM, but there was a new Ritter Sport flavor, Neapolitan wafer!

Along w/the other necessities, like those Euro saltines made with ex virg olive oil... really really good, and no nasty shortening or WHATever it is in regular saltines.

And the convenience of bringing home a lovely chicken koobideh san to a hungry Le Mangeur.

Yay MRM.

#12 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • Community Organizer
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:20 PM

Lovely and productive visit to MRM this midday.

In support of Veg Weds, sangak was indicated. The bakery has added in tatoun bread as well, which is a tender flatbread with milk in the dough, perfectly round, and docked closely all over in an even pattern. They have white, white w/dill, and whole wheat. I got a w/dill and a ww, since Ivan is like Russians can be, CRAZEEEE for dill, and I love ww. Also got the sangak I'd set out for.

Nice big block of Bulgarian feta, nice pint of shallot yogurt which I really should make but theirs is SO GOOD. Yogurt, olive oil, cocktail olives... staples.

Brought Le Mangeur a koobideh san from the restaurant to help him study. Favorite foods help people study.

Alta-Dena still 2-4-6.

Everybody should be so lucky as to have an MRM in their life.

#13 le mangeur

le mangeur
  • Jaffa
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:29 PM

Today I had my final for Japanese 1 at IVC. Before I left, Priscilla asked me to stop at MRM for 2 milks and a pasta tricolore, if available. I added a chicken koobideh sandwich for myself.

I called in my order from the IVC parking lot, about 15 minutes away, and the nice guy on the phone said it would be 20 minutes.

So I did my shopping first, and that was enough time for my sandwich to be ready for me. The surprising part of this trip though, came when I walked into the deli area. In the space of one week, MRM absorbed the two stores between them and the sangak bakery. The walls have been removed, and the space is now a hall of sorts with the restaurant order/pickup counter, an expansive steam table (20 vessels at least), and the sangak bakery at the far end. Overall very festive, as if they needed any help in that department, and not unsimilar to Wholesome Choice.

Oh and the sandwich was delicious, as usual.

#14 samiam590

samiam590
  • Citizen
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:21 PM

Gotta get myself over there for these chicken koobideh sans. Well, maybe beef for me if they have it, but i gotta get some. And that shalot yogurt too...love it. I went here finally when I was looking for a cheap Turkish coffee pot (7 bucks! now I just need a grinder...) and I found it. Loved the vibe in there.

#15 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • Community Organizer
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:52 AM

MRM today for grapeseed oil restck, Viet baguette, martini olives. Brought a beef koobideh san to Le Mangeur.

LOVE LOVE loving the new glamourous expanded holistic space!

And everybody was so nice as usual, even with the also-usual throng, on a Thursday afternoon.

#16 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • Community Organizer
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 12:49 AM

Seems my beloved middle-of-nowhere MRM has somehow garnered the attention of the OC Weekly's Stick a Fork in It blog!

#17 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • Community Organizer
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:54 PM

One thing about MRM that I think works in its favor is it is close to NOSSING.

Works in MY favor, at least. Doesn't in the least seem to hamper its success, just means it's filled with actual customers rather than dilettantes. A good thing.

Lovely lovely MRM.

#18 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • Community Organizer
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:23 PM

Just a quick note to say, that chicken koobideh san continues to be SO GOOD.

And of course the people in all the departments continue to be so nice.

More continuing: Continuing to be the best source for choccy, incl. the new Lindt w/sea salt that is Ivan's and Le Mangeur's fave, and the 50% plain that I tried for baking on the recommendation of David Lebovitz and found he was, of COURSE, correct about it being just right, like he's correct about everything else.

#19 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • Community Organizer
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:11 PM

MRM post today on Taste of Orange County.

#20 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • Community Organizer
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:31 PM

Been forgetting to update... too busy cooking with what I get at my beloved MRM.

BUT today I'm remembering, after stopping in for the usual: Bulgarian feta, Viet baguette, et al.

MRM has recently expanded again, this time the other direction (it previously broke through into what was a separate bakery to create its own bakery/restaurant area). Now, it has embraced the entire arm of the center up to the breezeway in the center! Tons more room.

Said room furnished with a lot of housewares, at this point. There's always been some in MRM, a few pans and sundry teaware, say, but now, LOTS of pans, plus electrics and pressure cookers and well, I don't know what all.

The bread and rice and bulk bins also have moved into this newly acquired space. I'm hoping as time goes on they expand the produce department, now that they have created some wiggle room.

Overall, so thrilling to see them getting better and better! Doesn't always go that way, I am constantly aware. So often things we like, even depend on, fade away. So far, over the decade+ I've been shopping at MRM there's been no sign of flagging. And YAY for that.